Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Chicken Tortilla Soup


When I become consumed by my cravings (weekly) for Southwestern flavors, this is my recipe for a restorative bowl of chicken soup. I try to serve it for most Friday lunches, as my husband and I never tire of this savory meal. I feel it gives him something to look forward to at the end of the week, besides the weekend. It’s our carrot on a stick. It’s also another one of my quick, one-pot meals.

Ingredients
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces

2 yellow onions, chopped
4 garlic cloves, finely chopped 

1 chipotle pepper in adobo, finely chopped + 1 tablespoon sauce
Juice from 1/2 fresh lemon

1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
2 cups frozen corn kernels
2 cups hot salsa
8 cups reduced sodium chicken broth

To garnish: Tortilla chips, grated cheddar cheese and fresh cilantro/coriander.


In a large pot, cook the chicken over medium heat for 5 minutes. Stir in the onions, garlic and chipotle with the adobo. (For a faster prep, use a mini chopper for chopping the onions, garlic and chipotle). Continue cooking for 5 minutes. Add in the lemon juice, cumin, corn, salsa, and broth. Stir well and cook for 10 minutes.

Layer tortilla chips in bowl, ladle soup over chips and top with cheese and fresh cilantro.
 

Serves 8

© 2009 Madame Monaco All Rights Reserved

PRINT RECIPE

No comments:

Post a Comment