Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Creamy Soy Shakes


As a teenager, about the only thing my mother could get me to consume for breakfast on school days was her banana almond shake. To this day, I do not like to eat a large breakfast during the week (weekend brunch is another story), so these shakes are a quick, healthy treat. 

Here is my version of the shake my mother would make for me. I have also included a delicious strawberry one, as we have such petite, flavorful berries here in Quebec.

I am using agave nectar to sweeten this shake because of its low glycemic index -- meaning a slower release of glucose in the bloodstream. And it doesn't have the awful aftertaste of other sweeteners. 

Banana Almond Shake 
3/4 cup of unsweetened soy milk
1 banana
1 tablespoon crunchy almond butter
1 teaspoon flax seeds


Add soy milk, banana, almond butter and flax seeds to blender - blend until liquefied. 

Serves 1

Strawberry Shake 
3/4 cup of unsweetened soy milk
1 (heaping) cup of fresh strawberries, stems removed
2 teaspoons agave nectar

Add soy milk, strawberries and agave to blender - blend until liquefied. 

Serves 1 

© 2009 Madame Monaco All Rights Reserved

PRINT RECIPE

No comments:

Post a Comment