Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Pork Fried Rice


Fried rice from restaurants does not appeal to me because I have never been able to develop a taste for eggs. I really only love them for baking but have tried to eat them in most ways. I find it fun to cook with eggs. I invite friends over for brunch just to play with eggs. I have been told I make great omelets and scrambled eggs. Although my egg dishes don’t interest me, I have developed an egg-free fried rice to love.    

This one pot meal is a tasty way to use up leftover rice, preferably brown – or just steam a pot of rice, refrigerate and use the following night. I like smoked ham in this dish, but I assume any poultry would work well – chicken, turkey, duck. You should be able to find white pepper at your local grocer. This pepper has a distinct flavor and adds a milder heat to this recipe. If you cannot find it, black pepper can be substituted.

Ingredients
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 red onion, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon minced ginger root
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup frozen green peas
1 bunch green onions, thinly sliced
2 cups cooked ham, diced
8 cups cold cooked brown rice
4 tablespoons tamari soy sauce
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1/2 teaspoon white pepper

Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high. Cook red onion, ginger and garlic for about 2 minutes. Add peas, green onions and ham, cooking for an additional 2-3 minutes or until peas are warmed through.

Add the rice to the pot. Season the mixture with tamari, sesame oil and white pepper. Stir to incorporate all ingredients and break up the rice. Cook an additional 4-5 minutes or until the rice is warmed through.
 

Serves 8 

© 2009 Madame Monaco All Rights Reserved

PRINT RECIPE

No comments:

Post a Comment