Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Barbecue Duck Quesadillas


My grandfather is a duck hunter. When my brother and I were younger we found it entertaining to listen as he practiced duck calling in his den. Granddaddy would spend hours preparing his hunting kit before heading into the field. We would eagerly watch his ritual.

Because of my grandfather's hunt there was always a dish of duck dressing (think turkey "stuffing") on the Thanksgiving table my grandmother prepared. My mother reports that this year the dressing will be made with a store bought duck, as fewer ducks migrate South these days and my 82-year old grandfather has been forced into retirement from duck hunting. Because of the upcoming American Thanksgiving, which is my favorite holiday, I have been reminiscing, which leads to cooking - duck in this case.

It excites me that most grocery stores here in Quebec sell vacuum-packed confit duck legs. Confit is a preservation method in which seasoned meat is slowly cooked in its own rendered fat, then cooled and stored in a fat submersion. After discovering the heaven that is duck confit while still living in the States, I searched many grocery stores to purchase them and came up empty-handed. In fact, the only place I could find confit legs was online and at staggering prices. So I waited and ordered duck confit whenever it would crop up on a restaurant menu. Actually, if a restaurant puts duck - prepared any way - on their menu, I will order it. Possibly because it reminds me of my childhood spent in awe of my grandfather.

If you are in the States and there are no confit legs where you live substitute roast duck or chicken.

Ingredients
Meat from 2 duck confit legs, shredded
1 red onion, thinly sliced
1-2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil

1 cup mozzarella soy cheese, shredded
1/2 cup fresh cilantro
1/4 cup barbeque sauce

4 10-inch whole wheat flour tortillas

Preheat oven to 400°. Sauté the red onion and duck meat in 1-2 teaspoons olive oil until onions are transparent.

Assembly: Layer cheese, duck, onion, cilantro and a drizzle of barbecue sauce on one half of the tortilla. Sprinkle more cheese over the top of the layers and fold over the other tortilla half to seal. Repeat for remaining tortillas.

On a baking sheet cook the quesadillas for 5-7 minutes or until cheese is melted.

Serves 4

© 2009 Madame Monaco All Rights Reserved


PRINT RECIPE

No comments:

Post a Comment