Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Pumpkin Cardamom Soy Ice Cream


Several years ago in Salem, Massachusetts I tasted a wonderful treat of pumpkin ice cream. This recipe is a healthier version. It will require a food processor and an ice cream maker.

You can sometimes buy a used ice cream maker in the online classifieds which is where I bought mine over a year ago, but have never used it until making this recipe. I’ll excuse myself because when we first moved to Quebec we were in a tiny apartment and most of our belongings stayed packed in boxes. We've since moved to a house so I am slowly bringing out my treasures and putting them to use.

For those of you who prefer a more traditional pumpkin flavor, substitute pumpkin pie spice for the cardamom. Enjoy this creamy pumpkin dessert without guilt!

Ingredients
12.3 ounce package firm lite silken tofu
1/2 cup unsweetened soy milk
1 cup pure pumpkin puree
1/4 cup agave nectar
1/2 teaspoon cardamom powder
Toasted pecans, to serve

In a food processor puree the tofu, soy milk, pumpkin, agave nectar and cardamom. With a rubber spatula scrape down the sides to ensure a silky, smooth mixture. Alternate between scraping and pulsing the mixture. After fitting the lid and switching the blending apparatus on, pour mixture through the pour opening into the frozen bowl. Follow the manufacturer's instructions for freezing.

Note: My first batch of ice cream was ruined when I poured the mixture directly into the frozen bowl and it immediately formed a solid wall of caked ice cream around the bowl. I couldn’t even fit in the blending part. So learn from my lesson: fit the lid and blending part on first, turn the machine on and then pour your mixture inside.

Serves 4

© 2009 Madame Monaco All Rights Reserved


PRINT RECIPE

No comments:

Post a Comment