Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Chorizo and Potato Hash


I should call this Christmas Hash because its deep green and red colors remind me of the holiday. It's almost here! My husband and I are back in my hometown and I am so glad to be with my family again.

Hash was a frequent visitor at our table when my brother and I were youngsters. Sunday’s roast beef was always Monday’s hash – chopped beef, potatoes and onions cooked in a cast iron skillet. 

My tasty recipe, using sausage, would be great for a festive brunch this season - no leftovers needed. The smoky paprika in the chorizo flavors the dish. It is very easy to prepare and takes little time to cook.

Ingredients
1 1/2 pounds small yellow potatoes, quartered
Extra virgin olive oil
1/2 pound spicy Spanish chorizo sausage, sliced
1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped

1 cup fresh flat leaf parsley, roughly chopped
Sea salt and pepper, to taste

In a large pot fitted with a steamer basket bring about 1 inch of water to a boil. Cover and steam potatoes for 6 minutes or until fork tender. Drain potatoes in a colander; remove steamer basket from the pot.

In the same pot heat a couple of drizzles of olive oil over medium heat. Add the chorizo, onion and garlic; cook for about 3 minutes. Add the potatoes and cook the mixture for another 3-5 minutes allowing the potatoes to crust.

Garnish with parsley, sea salt and pepper. Serve immediately.

Serves 4

© 2009 Madame Monaco All Rights Reserved

PRINT RECIPE

No comments:

Post a Comment