Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Roasted Spaghetti Squash


I crave this squash. It gets my vote for the most exciting vegetable to eat. I am not sure why my mother wasn't serving this at every meal when I was a child. Instead, "eat your vegetables" became a time-intensive standoff with my mother, in dictator mode (however benevolent) and me contemplating my destiny. I was not allowed to leave the table until the vegetables on my plate were eaten or else... These meals generally ended when I would hold my nose and down each bite (all two of them) with water. So much for table manners, but as long as I finished those vegetables...


For a time this squash consumed the minds of my classmates while I was in my food studies program in Boston. Preparations were whispered during pauses in the lectures. This was my first time to hear of this intriguing squash. I was in disbelief. A squash that magically transforms into strands that resemble angel hair pasta??? I had to find out for myself.

Upon cracking open my first spaghetti squash - which is no easy task - I thought my classmates must have been talking about the strands connecting the seeds. I scooped them out anyway, just because that is what you always do with squash. After baking the squash, I pulled out a fork and began scraping the tines against the flesh - just to check. To my amazement silky strands fell away from the rind. A nest (or wedge) of this squash would make a complementary addition to your New Year's plate of black-eyed peas and greens.

Ingredients
1 spaghetti squash
Extra virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper
Pecorino Romano cheese, grated

Preheat oven to 425°. Cut the squash into quarters (or fifths). Mom's tip: Use an electric carving knife (she claims she did cook this squash once). Remove seeds and connective strands. Spread in single layer, skin side down, on a rimmed baking sheet covered in parchment paper. Drizzle olive oil over the tops of the squash. Sprinkle freshly ground salt and pepper over squash.

Bake for 40 minutes or until tender. Remove from oven and use a fork to scrape the squash into spaghetti-like strands. Top the squash strands with grated cheese. 

Serves 4 or more depending on the size of your squash. 

© 2009 Madame Monaco All Rights Reserved

PRINT RECIPE

4 comments:

  1. I've only had this squash once before and I think it was boiled. Not very pleasing to eat, but a novelty to look at. Your recipe sounds yummy and makes me want to give it another shot. I only wish you had shown a picture of the finished product after you had scraped the flesh into the strands.
    Aunt Deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pictures I took of the squash strands didn't turn out very well, but I will email you one. I will post one here the next time I make this squash as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just made spaghetti squash again today - the pictures turned out better this time! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just happened to be scanning your recipes again for something I might want to try and I noticed the beautiful pictures of the spaghetti squash. Great job. Now I really want to try it.
    Aunt Deb

    ReplyDelete