Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Simple Guacamole


Sometimes a little guacamole turkey - and a margarita - is all a girl needs after the day has left her feeling a little kooky. I'm not talking guacamole and turkey combined, which is quite good in the right recipe. I mean the simplest guacamole with a few tortilla chips combined in such a way that it resembles a turkey - use your imagination.

This is my easy guacamole recipe. I normally use it for garnish on fajitas or bean salads but it is an excellent dip as well. Adjust the amount of granulated garlic you use according to the size of your avocado and your preference for garlicky flavor.

This recipe only requires three ingredients plus tortilla chips. I absolutely love guacamole but cannot be bothered to make it with an extensive list of ingredients when this version tastes so good and satisfies my craving. Although I have always liked to order guacamole at Mexican restaurants, I didn't start using it at home until I moved to California. While living there I felt avocado consumption was one of my duties as a good Californian. Most of the avocados produced in the US are grown in California.

Well, I am still addicted even though it has now been several years since I have lived on the West Coast. This dip is like a luscious green butter heaven that is good for you. Avocados have healthy fats, fiber, potassium and several vitamins like B, E and K. And yes you can bathe in avocados - they are great for your skin. (And no, I am not the only one who wonders this!)  

Ingredients
1 medium Haas avocado
1/4-1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
2 pinches of sea salt
Tortilla chips, to serve

To cut open the avocado, slide a knife around the length of the avocado. There is a large seed in the middle. Give the two sides a twist and pull apart. Gently bang your knife blade into the seed and twist to remove the seed. Grab the outside edges of the avocado half and flip inside out. This will flip the flesh out. Repeat with the other half.

Using a fork, mash the avocado, garlic and salt together in a small bowl. I like to leave the dip a little chunky.

Garnish with chips (make the turkey if you feel a bit nutty) and serve immediately. Avocado flesh browns quickly.

Serves two or one avocado-hungry girl's dinner. 



Cook's tips:
1. If you would only like to use one half of the avocado, leave the large seed in when you twist apart the two halves. Wrap the seeded half tightly with cling film pressing the plastic around the seed and against the flesh. This should last another day without turning brown. It may turn slightly brown, but just slice off a thin layer of the exposed flesh.
 

2. For a while I was having a problem with dark spots in the flesh of my just-purchased avocados. I have found that buying unripe avocados and allowing them to ripen at home has solved the problem for me. The unripe ones have a lighter green skin. When they are ripe they have a deep forest green color. I generally buy my avocados two days before I will use them. This gives them time to ripen properly.

© 2009-2010 Madame Monaco All Rights Reserved

PRINT RECIPE

No comments:

Post a Comment