Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Crispy Prosciutto, Lamb's Lettuce and Tomato Sandwich


I love BLTs, but I have this psychological issue where I cannot eat them unless they are on white bread (white bagels are best) with iceberg lettuce. I have made them with spinach on whole wheat bread to up the nutritional value, but...yuck. So, to appease my neurosis and bacon cravings, I developed this sandwich, the PLT, which I consider an elevated BLT because it has a slightly healthier constitution.

Baking the prosciutto actually tricks your brain into thinking it is bacon - well, at least the saltiness and the crunchiness are there. I have used lamb's lettuce (mache) in my sandwich, because I am avoiding arugula at the moment - too many arugula and balsamic vinegar salads lately. Essentially, I needed a new lettuce. Lamb's lettuce has a significantly milder flavor compared to spinach and arugula. Romaine lettuce works well in this sandwich also.

Ingredients
2 slices of whole wheat bread
2 strips baked prosciutto
Handful of lamb's lettuce (mache)
2 tomato slices
1 tablespoon reduced-calorie mayonnaise

Preheat oven to 425°. Layer prosciutto on a rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake prosciutto for 12-15 minutes; turn baking sheet midway through cooking.

Assemble: Slather bread with the mayonnaise. Layer lettuce, tomato slices and prosciutto. Top with bread slice. (I have put the prosciutto on top because it is fairly delicate after being baked).

Serves 1

© 2009-2010 Madame Monaco All Rights Reserved 

No comments:

Post a Comment