Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Southwest Black-Eyed Pea Salad


Whether you call it Texas Caviar, Black-eyed Pea Salad or Southwest Bean Salad, it will be the hit at your party, potluck or picnic. I first had this salad at a faculty luncheon when I was working as a school librarian in California. One of the Language Arts teachers brought this salad to the potluck and created a stir amongst her coworkers. This salad was the first thing to go at the serving table. Everyone wanted the recipe. I felt like I was at a gathering in the South because Southern ladies go nuts over marinated mixed bean salads.

Although this salad is fantastic on its own, at our potluck it was scooped up with corn chips. I have used it as a delicious bed for grilled fish or shrimp kabobs and alongside barbecued chicken. This is the perfect salad for summer.

I have made a few adaptations to the original recipe. The original recipe called for sugar, so I substituted agave nectar. I stock up on shoepeg corn when I visit the South, but if you cannot find this corn in your part of the country use whole kernel corn. This recipe makes a large amount so gather your friends around to share.

Ingredients
1 can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 can black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can shoe-peg corn, rinsed and drained
One yellow and one red bell pepper, diced
2 jalapeƱo peppers, diced
One red onion, diced
One bunch green onions, sliced
One bunch cilantro, roughly chopped
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons light agave nectar

In a very large bowl, combine beans, peas, corn, peppers, onion, cilantro, olive oil, vinegar and agave nectar. Refrigerate overnight. Serve at room temperature.

Serves 10

© 2009-2010 Madame Monaco All Rights Reserved


PRINT RECIPE

1 comment:

  1. sounds totally yummy. I'm going to try it this week end!

    Aunt Deb

    ReplyDelete