Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Learning to Garden, Part Two



After some weeks of hesitation, I finally got everything in the ground over Victoria Day weekend. Our weather has been steamy hot some days then snow the next, so I probably would have killed my plants if I got them in the ground any sooner. I planted seeds, transplanted seedlings and flowers and even threw in some seeds I had saved from some of the fruits and vegetables we have eaten lately. 

I could not be restrained so a lot got planted this year. In my earlier post, I detailed the building of my cinder block bed. In this spot I planted packet seeds for chives, spring onions, leeks, spinach, chili peppers, bell peppers, several tomato varieties, green basil, oregano, cilantro and parsley. As well, I planted chili pepper and bell pepper seeds from the actual vegetables. I transplanted tomato varieties, bell pepper, jalapeno, cayenne, green and purple basil, oregano, rosemary, sage, cilantro and thyme. My obsessiveness is shining bright here. I figured if I can't get a plant to produce one way there will be an alternative. I must say, I will be really disappointed if I don't grow any tomatoes and peppers. Finally, I scattered marigolds throughout my garden because they are a natural pesticide.


Spinach

I built a small bed out of the large rocks from last years garden. In this bed I planted yellow squash, cucumbers, watermelon and cantaloupe plants. I had some dried Lady Cream Peas, which I ordered from a company in the South, so I stuck a few of those in the ground. I also planted the seeds from a honeydew melon we had recently. Additionally, dill and mint were planted in my pots.


Lady Cream Peas

One week later and two of my transplants have already died - bye-bye purple basil and cilantro. My other cilantro plant and my green basil are about to throw in the towel as well. Thankfully, I have the seeds planted for backup. I did read online that cilantro does not transplant well, but I might have abused them a little before getting them in the ground. Oh well, you win some, you lose some and you get on with your gardening.


Honeydew

So this years garden is a field study of sorts. I am very curious to see how the plants will turn out from the seeds taken from our fruits and vegetables. There wasn't a lot of information online about using the seeds from your vegetables. I'll admit, what I did read sounded a lot like blah, blah, blah to me. There were processes of storing, drying, freezing and starting your seeds indoors in yogurt cups saved throughout the year then transplanting. Well, I skipped all that fun and just chucked them in the ground. So, yeah, I want to see if my lazy way will pay off just as well. And if they don't, it doesn't matter because maybe the packet seeds or the transplanted seedlings will produce for me.

So far, so good though. Green seedlings pushing their way out of the ground are something every gardener, or wannabe gardener, loves to see. The seeds from the actual vegetables are winning the growing race. These were some of the first to stretch their little green arms above the ground.

To be continued...

© 2009-2010 Madame Monaco All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment