Monday, July 26, 2010

Blueberry Lassi


On the way back from a trip to New England this weekend we drove through an extensive farming community along Route 133 in Quebec. This stretch of road through the Montérégie region is lined with corn fields and farm stands. Of course I had to investigate what was on offer even though it was late Sunday afternoon and my husband was beyond ready to return home.

In his defense, he had just spent the weekend shopping across four states. And in mine, I had not done any serious shopping since Christmas in the U.S. last year. We hit the outlets in Kittery, Maine, the malls in the suburbs of Boston, the stores along Beacon and Harvard in Brookline, Massachusetts, and several book shops in New Hampshire and Vermont. Did I mention that this was his birthday weekend? I do feel a bit guilty but I did make him a huge Italian carb feast with chocolate cupcakes before we left.


Needless to say, my husband waited in the car as I followed the siren call of fresh fruits and vegetables. The blueberries were bright and perfect, so I bought some along with our vegetables for the week. I could not resist incorporating the berries into an Indian drink recipe since this cuisine is my current cooking obsession.

The lassi is to India what the smoothie is to North America. Typically, lassis are flavored with mango, rosewater or saffron. These yogurt based drinks are served sweet or savory. This cool and creamy blend is an excellent way to start a summer morning.

Ingredients
1/2 cup/85g blueberries
1/2 cup/150g plain part-skim yogurt
1-2 teaspoons agave nectar
2 cubes of ice

Put all ingredients into the blender. Add a bit of water, or milk, if you are not using a runny yogurt. Blend well and serve immediately.

Serves 1

Copyright © 2009-2010 Madame Monaco All Rights Reserved

PRINT RECIPE

No comments:

Post a Comment