Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Salsa Fresca


I have been known to lose all self control when a fresh salsa or pico de gallo is placed before me. Since getting married, I do preface my salsa scarfing with an apology to my husband. He can sometimes dip three chips before the bowl is gone at restaurants - he is getting faster. I should probably enter salsa eating contests to make a little green on the side. My mom has suggested that I am allergic to tomatoes because I like them so much - yes, this is how she thinks. My allergist has tested me and stated my condition as being otherwise.

This is the basic salsa recipe that has satisfied my cravings since I starting making it from scratch while living in California. The jarred variety just won't do when this fresh one is so easy to make and 100x tastier. After very minimal prep, I just toss all the ingredients in my food processor and pulse the mixture until it is finely chopped. If you prefer a chunky salsa, add everything except the tomatoes and pulse until fine, then add the tomatoes to pulse to your preference. I use the entire jalapeno for a little extra heat. Jalapenos aren't that hot anyway, but remove the seeds and veins if you do not want any heat. Use this on everything - tacos, fajitas, nachos, burritos, potatoes, eggs, salads...

Ingredients
6 ripe Roma tomatoes, halved
1 small white onion, quartered
1 fat jalapeno, stem removed
1 tablespoon fresh oregano leaves
1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
Juice of 1/2 lime
1/2 teaspoon salt

Add all ingredients to the bowl of a food processor. Pulse to combine until you have a fine salsa. Allow the salsa 10 minutes to rest before serving.

Serves 6

© 2009-2010 Madame Monaco All Rights Reserved

PRINT RECIPE

No comments:

Post a Comment