Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Garlic and Oregano Salsa


This is a delicious salsa and it's great for those folks who dislike the taste of coriander/cilantro. To some people, this herb tastes like soap. I love cilantro, but didn't have any on hand when I made this salsa. I decided to add a little raw garlic as well, because it is very good nutritionally speaking. The raw garlic tastes fantastic in this salsa. This recipe is adapted from my basic salsa fresca recipe.

I picked some tomatoes and peppers from my garden to use for this salsa. My tomatoes are sweet, so they made for a great tasting salsa. I added Epsom salt to my garden this year. Supposedly, the Epsom salt helps to take away any residual bitterness in tomatoes. Bitter tomatoes result when there is a magnesium deficiency in the soil. It seems to have worked very well in my garden.

Ingredients
6 plum tomatoes, halved
1 small white onion, quartered
2 jalapeno peppers, split lengthwise and seeds removed if desired
4 garlic cloves
1 tablespoon fresh oregano leaves
Juice from 1/2 lime
1/2 teaspoon sea salt

Combine all ingredients in a food processor and pulse until a finely chopped consistency is reached. Alternatively, finely chop all the vegetables and herbs with a knife; add the lime juice and salt. Stir to combine. Allow the flavors of the salsa to mingle about 10 minutes before serving.

Serves 6

Copyright © 2009-2010 Madame Monaco All Rights Reserved

PRINT RECIPE

No comments:

Post a Comment