Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Prosciutto and Arugula Pizzas


In college I started making mini pizzas with English muffins, although my recipe was more complicated back then. My favorite combination was hot Italian sausage, bell pepper, mushroom and goat cheese. I would remove the sausage from the casing, then crumble and cook it separately. I would chop, chop, chop green bell peppers and mushrooms and cook those before adding my sauce and toppings, including goat's cheese, to the English muffin halves.

My toppings of choice, for at least the past five years, are prosciutto, arugula and goat's cheese. Prosciutto and arugula are very common authentic Italian pizza toppings. I am not sure a pizzeria that did not have these on offer could be trusted. I like to use a peppery pasta sauce for more flavor - mine also has some larger tomato pieces as well. Adding goat's cheese on these pizzas is delicious and adds another flavor layer.

Ingredients
6 whole grain English muffins, halved
3/4 -1 cup pasta sauce, arrabbiata preferred
4 slices of prosciutto
2 tablespoons goat's cheese
Arugula, to serve

Preheat the oven to 400°. Line a baking tray with parchment paper. Lay the 12 halves on the lined tray.

Top each half with 1 heaping tablespoon of pasta sauce and use the spoon to smooth it around to cover the muffin half. Cut each slice of prosciutto into 6 strips. Layer 2 strips per half. Top each with about 1/2 teaspoon goat's cheese; form the cheese into 3-4 pieces for each half.

Bake the pizzas for 15 minutes. Top with a few arugula leaves per half to serve.

Makes 12 mini pizzas.

Copyright © 2009-2010 Madame Monaco All Rights Reserved

PRINT RECIPE

2 comments:

  1. Did you make the pizzas for your folks last night?

    ReplyDelete
  2. They got in late - flight was delayed out of Dallas for about two hours. I haven't cooked for them yet, but I am taking them to Jean-Talon market today to get some groceries.

    ReplyDelete