Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Purple Cabbage, Potatoes and Bacon

I have always been curious about Bubble and Squeak, possibly because of my slight obsession with all things British. This is a traditional English dish made with the leftovers from a Sunday roast dinner. It typically includes cabbage and potatoes, but each cook adds his or her own special ingredients, such as meat or a particular seasoning. It is called as it is because of the sound it makes whilst it cooks.

Although I have never eaten Bubble and Squeak until making this recipe, I went into the kitchen and just started cooking up what I remembered from reading about the dish in the past. A few items have ended up in my fridge lately that I bought without a "kitchen plan." Smoked Wiltshire bacon rashers are being sold at my local grocery store, so...yeah, couldn't resist giving them a try. If I couldn't find bacon rashers, I would use back bacon, peameal bacon, Canadian bacon or breakfast ham.

I have been finding all sorts of purple vegetables lately, including eggplants, tomatoes, bell peppers, French beans and cabbage. From what I have seen and read, this dish is typically made with green cabbage, but what's the harm in a little color? Serve this dish on a chilly evening when a fast pot of great food is on the menu.

Ingredients
1 1/2 pounds (680 grams) yellow potatoes, cubed
1 teaspoon sea salt
6 bacon rashers
1/2 yellow onion, chopped
1/2 head purple cabbage, cored and thinly sliced
1/2 cup low sodium chicken stock
1/4 teaspoon red chili flakes
Sea salt and black pepper, to taste

In a large pot, bring salted water and potatoes to a boil. Cover and boil for 10 minutes or until tender. Drain the potatoes in a colander and set aside.

In the same pot, fry bacon rashers in a single layer for 3 minutes. Flip rashers. Add onions, cabbage, stock and seasoning; stir to combine. Cook for 7 minutes. Add the potatoes back to the pot and cook an additional 3 minutes or until the cabbage is tender.

Serves 6

Copyright © 2009-2010 Madame Monaco All Rights Reserved

PRINT RECIPE

No comments:

Post a Comment