Monday, January 31, 2011

Asadero Cheese and Tomato Torta


Asadero, a mild and creamy Mexican cheese, is excellent for making grilled cheese sandwiches because it melts so easily - unlike the gigantic mountain of snow on our front lawn. Eating Mexican (inspired) food is one of my preferred ways to make it through a Montreal winter.

If I can focus my thoughts on a blazing yellow sun and brilliant aqua waters, the snow will melt in my mind at least. This is the sandwich that took me (and the hubby) on a recent field trip to Mexico. Melting cheese and hot tomatoes are pressed between slices of locally made onion bread. A pinch of oregano and ancho chili brings this torta together.

Ingredients
4 slices onion bread
1 Roma tomato, thinly sliced lengthwise
4 slices Asadero cheese
Dried oregano, pinch per sandwich
Ancho chili powder, pinch per sandwich
Sea salt and black pepper to taste
1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil

Layer 2 slices of cheese and half the tomato on each of 2 pieces of the bread. Each layered slice should get a pinch of oregano and ancho chili powder. Crack a few twists of salt and pepper over each as well. Top with the remaining 2 slices of bread.

In a large skillet heat the oil over medium. Use a spatula to press down on the sandwich while it cooks. Brown each side of the sandwich for about 2-3 minutes to allow the filling to heat through and melt the cheese.

Serves 2

Copyright © 2009-2011 Madame Monaco All Rights Reserved

PRINT RECIPE

2 comments:

  1. We have a mountain of snow in Tulsa, too. Record breaking blizzard hit us on Tuesday. I wish I had the fixins at home to make this torta! Everything about it sounds yummy.

    Aunt Deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dad told me the interstate was shut down because of the snow. =(

    I might post a winter survival guide soon that I have been working on - not sure it is seriously helpful but possibly funny. I am just gritting my teeth for the winter to be over ASAP.

    ReplyDelete