Saturday, January 22, 2011

Elderflower Gelatine with Blueberries


Elderflower is an ingredient I was introduced to while in England some years ago. While I did try some of the other indigenous drinks such as orange barley water, Ribena, a drink flavored with blackcurrants and orange squash, my favorite was the elderflower presse. These days, my beverage of choice is a straight shot of water but the unique and delicate flavor of elderflower is delicious for my gelatine.

Admittedly, elderflower can be hard to find in North America. When I got back to the U.S., I started ordering my British favorites from the online shops selling groceries from the U.K. Some of the larger grocery stores sell popular drink concentrates from Britain. Amazon also carries the Bottle Green Elderflower Cordial. Surprisingly, I was lucky enough to find the elderflower concentrate I use at IKEA, the Swedish flat-pack furniture store. They also have a tasty orange and elderflower marmalade. Who would have thought?

Ingredients
3.5 ounces/100 grams blueberries
1 tablespoon gelatine powder
½ cup elderflower concentrate
1½ cups cold water

Divide the blueberries between 4 teacups or small bowls.

In a bowl, sprinkle the gelatine over the elderflower concentrate. Let this stand while you bring the cups of water to a boil. 

Whisk the boiled water into the elderflower and gelatine mixture. Allow to cool slightly. Remove any foam from the top with a spoon or kitchen towel. Whisk again then pour a ½ cup of the liquid over the blueberries in each cup. Allow to set at least 4 hours.

Copyright © 2009-2011 Madame Monaco All Rights Reserved

PRINT RECIPE

No comments:

Post a Comment