Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Toffee and Pecan Cookies


The idea for this toffee and pecan cookie was inspired by one I used to eat from the bakery at Kroger as a kid. My brother and I weren’t allowed to eat sugar. If mom had it her way, everything would have been sweetened with barley malt sweetener. Just the thought of that revolting taste on my tongue makes me cringe.

So while mom was grocery shopping I would offer to go fetch items from the list to make the shopping go faster. On these missions I would take a small detour to the bakery and order a sugar sweetened treat – these cookies were my favorite. Mom never noticed my extended absence because she would always “bump” into someone she knew and get caught up in a good chin wag making her oblivious to everything else in the world. Can you really blame a kid for a bit of deviousness when faced with the prospect of barley malt?

This recipe is about compromise. It’s lightly sweetened and it’s made with whole grain. I have used whole wheat flour, although the bakery version was made with white. These are sweetened with agave, not sugar, and definitely not barley malt. The toffee pieces do have sugar, so if you prefer to leave it out, check out my other mix-in suggestions below. I think we all win with this recipe for toffee and pecan cookies.

Ingredients
1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, room temperature
½ cup agave nectar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
½ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon sea salt
½ cup toffee pieces
½ cup chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

In a large bowl, cream the butter and agave together with an electric mixer. Add eggs in one at a time and mix well. Mix in the vanilla.

In a separate medium bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, and salt. Mix the dry ingredients into the liquid mixture. Use a spatula to combine. Fold in the toffee and pecans.

Use an ice cream scoop to make about 12 mounds on the baking tray. Use the back of a wet fork to flatten the mounds into round cookie shapes. Bake for 15 minutes.

Other mix-in suggestions:
Dark chocolate chips with a touch of orange zest
Chopped dried cherries and walnut pieces
Chopped dried apricots with hazelnut pieces

Makes about 12 big, soft cookies.

Copyright © 2009-2011 Madame Monaco All Rights Reserved

PRINT RECIPE

What "mix-ins" do you like to add to your cookies?

2 comments:

  1. I like it when you share and I don't think it's oversharing.

    Chocolate Chips and Pecans are my favorite add-ins in cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum - I think the next time I want to make dark chocolate and pecans with orange zest. That should be good. Thanks for commenting!

    ReplyDelete