Thursday, April 7, 2011

Buffalo Chicken Salad with Garlic Feta Dressing


This is a healthy and delicious salad version of the traditional “wings” appetizer that originated in Buffalo, NY. I have seen this on several menus at restaurants in the U.S., but I did not order it because it is so easy to make at home. We do not go to restaurants often enough for me to order a salad. If I am at a restaurant, I want to undo at least a few week's worth of calorie counting.

I have included vegetable cuts as a guideline but cut them as your mood or time constraints dictate. You can just chop and slice them all or bring out the fancy peelers. Most of my vegetables were sliced but I took a little more time to create carrot ribbons with a vegetable peeler. Or use a julienne peeler to make really nice carrot strings for the salad as I did in the picture below.


I love the flavors in this salad, but end up making it according to the contents of my refrigerator and/or freezer at the time. The version above uses breaded chicken tenders and a homemade garlic and feta dressing. I have included the recipe below if you would like to use this one instead of the more traditional ranch or blue cheese dressing.

Ingredients
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into small pieces
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 tablespoon hot cayenne pepper sauce
1 Romaine heart, torn into pieces
1 carrot, sliced into ribbons with a vegetable peeler
½ of an English cucumber, sliced
2 celery stalks, chopped
½ of a green bell pepper, chopped
1 plum tomato, sliced
Blue cheese, Ranch, or my Garlic Feta dressing, to serve

Cook the chicken over medium heat in a non-stick skillet. This takes about 3 minutes per side. When the chicken is cooked through, add the butter and cayenne sauce to melt and coat.

Plate the lettuce, carrot ribbons, cucumber, celery, bell pepper and tomato however you like. Top the salad with chicken and drizzle with your favorite dressing.

Garlic Feta Dressing
¼ cup plain yogurt
½ teaspoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon milk
1 tablespoon feta cheese, crumbled
Pinch of sea salt
Pinch of black pepper

Combine all the ingredients in a small bowl.

Serves 2

Copyright © 2009-2011 Madame Monaco All Rights Reserved

PRINT RECIPE

Or try another one of my salads:
Chorizo, Yellow Bell Pepper and Goat's Cheese Salad
Grilled Jerk Chicken Salad
Pan-fried Salmon, Roasted Eggplant and Tomato Salad with Dijon-Parsley Dressing

2 comments:

  1. These pictures finally due justice to your recipes. That salad belongs on a TV commercial or a food magazine. It looks simply divine. Made my mouth water. So fresh and crisp.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I have been fighting the lack of light during these Canadian winters. Recently I crafted a makeshift lightbox and its seems to be doing a decent job.

    ReplyDelete